- Wash tomatoes and cut off tops as in Yiayia’s recipe. Reserve tops.
Scoop out interior , chop and reserve.
- Saute onions in 1/4 cup olive oil until soft.
- Mix onions, parsley, dill, raisins and/or pine nuts, chopped tomato pulp, and 1 cup olive oil and saute for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill tomatoes with mixture and cover with tomato caps. Place in casserole with remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and water.
- Cover with foil and bake in 350 oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is cooked, basting occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- May be served at room temperature.